White Gazpacho with Grapes and Toasted Almonds
- 2 large English cucumbers (or 3 large regular cucumbers), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 scallions, whites only, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or Sherry vinegar, plus more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons slivered almonds, lightly toasted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green grapes, halved
Set aside 1 cup of chopped cucumber for a garnish. Soak the bread in water until soft, about 2 minutes. Place soaked bread, the rest of the cucumber, garlic, 3 of the scallions, vinegar, lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the almonds, salt and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and process until cucumbers are completely blended and liquid and almonds are almost completely invisible, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season with additional salt and vinegar, if desired.
To serve, ladle 1 cup gazpacho into a bowl. Mound 1/4 cup reserved chopped cucumber, 1 tablespoon scallions, 2 tablespoons grapes and 1 teaspoon almonds in the center of the soup.
2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved