- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 pound small elbow macaroni or wide egg noodles, cooked
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Grated white Cheddar, optional
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
Season the beef with the salt, pepper, and Essence.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the seasoned beef and cook, stirring, until well browned and all pink has disappeared. Drain off any excess oil in the skillet.
Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring until the mushrooms have released their juices, about 2 minutes. Add the macaroni (or egg noodles), beef broth and sour cream. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens slightly, 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the mixture onto 2 large plates. Sprinkle each portion with the cheese, if desired, and chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from “New New Orleans Cooking”, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.