- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and small diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons minced, seeded scotch bonnet pepper, depending upon taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh callaloo leaves or spinach (about 8 cups of leaves), ribs/stems discarded, well rinsed, and chiffonaded
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups water
In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the sweet potato, garlic, peppers, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add the greens and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and the water. Cook, stirring, until the leaves and sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Serve hot or warm with rice and hot pepper sauce on the side.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002