- 10 cups rich seafood or chicken stock*
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 green onions, chopped finely
- 4 ounces dried bean thread noodles, soaked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound leafy greens, such as spinach/bok choy/ Napa cabbage, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 8 sea scallops, sliced
- 4 small squid, cut into rings
- 1 (16 ounce) package soft tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 8 shucked oysters
- Garlic Mustard, recipe follows
- Ginger Soy Sauce, recipe follows
Place the stock, ginger, garlic and green onions in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Soak the noodles in warm water until softened; drain. Cut into bite-size lengths. Cut the greens into bite-size pieces. Cut the scallops into thin slices. Cut the squid into rings. Cut the tofu into cubes. Arrange the noodles, seafood, vegetables and tofu on a large platter. Cover and chill until ready to cook. Reheat the broth to simmering. Set a Mongolian hot pot or electric wok in the center of a table. Pour the broth into the pot and adjust heat to a gentle simmer. The guests use chopsticks or Chinese wire strainers to cook the seafood, vegetables and tofu slices in the boiling water and then dip into the sauce of their choice. Any remaining greens can be added at the end with the noodles to make the soup.
*Note: the success of this dish depends on starting with a full-flavored stock or broth.
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup dried mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
Place garlic in a mortar. Mash with the heel of a cleaver or pestle. Add sugar and stir until it dissolves. Add water, mustard powder, oils and vinegar stirring between each addition.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Ginger Soy Sauce:
In a small mixing bowl combine ginger and honey and stir until combined. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce, stirring between each addition.
Yield: about 1 cup