Crabmeat, Portobello and Truffle Oil Pizza
- Basic Pizza Dough, recipe follows, or prepared uncooked pizza crust
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 large portobello mushroom (about 4 ounces), stem removed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over to remove shells and cartilage
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions or chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups grated tomme, taleggio, or Gruyere
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 to 2 tablespoons truffle oil, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, garnish
- Basic Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup warm (110 degrees F) water
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Place a baking stone on the lower rack of the oven and preheat to 475 degrees F.
Remove the dough from the bowl and briefly knead. Place on a lightly floured work surface and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a large round of desired thickness or make into 2 smaller rounds. Lightly dust a baker's peel with the cornmeal. Transfer the dough to the peel. (Alternately, the dough can rest and then be cooked on a lightly oiled baking sheet.)
In a small bowl, toss the mushrooms slices with the olive oil and garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the tomme cheese evenly over the pizza, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Arrange the mushroom slices over the cheese. Transfer to the baking stone and cook until the crust is starting to turn golden brown and the cheese is starting to melt, about 6 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and arrange the crabmeat over the top of the pizza and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Return to the oven and bake until the crabmeat is hot and the cheese is bubbly, 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and drizzle with the truffle oil, to taste. Garnish with chopped chives and serve hot.Basic Pizza Dough:
In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.
Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Use as directed.
Yield: 1 large pizza crust, or 2 medium pizza crusts
Thank you! your flag was submitted.