- 2 tablespoons pork or bacon grease
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob with milk from the cob
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pork cracklings or 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Butter, for garnish
Place 2 tablespoons of pork fat or bacon grease in a 9-inch cast iron skillet, place in oven, and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add corn kernels and milk, eggs, buttermilk, and cracklings and stir until well blended. Pour in hot skillet (preheated for 12 to 15 minutes) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm with fresh butter.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004