- 8 (3-ounce) hamburger patties, about 1/3-inch thick
- Essence, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 4 hamburger buns
- Down Home Chili, recipe follows
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, cut into 8 slices
Preheat the griddle. Lightly season the patties on both sides with the Essence, salt, and pepper.
Place the patties on the hot griddle and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the patties, add 1 slice of cheese to each, and continue to cook. Add the onions to the griddle and cook until wilted, about 4 minutes. Season the onions with Essence, salt, and pepper. Meantime, place the hamburger buns, inside down, on the griddle, and cook until warmed through and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
Place one toasted bun on a serving plate. Place one patty on the bottom bun, spoon chili on top of the patty, and top with a second patty and more chili. Place a portion of onions on the chili and top with bun. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, and serve immediately.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Down Home Chili:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar, optional
In a heavy 6-quart pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat and stir with a large wooden spoon to break up the meat. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, 5 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, essence, salt, cumin, and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 cups (about 6 to 8 servings)