- 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joint, tips removed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallion whites
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped lemongrass bottoms
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Rinse the wings under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside in a large bowl while you prepare the marinade. Combine the garlic, shallots, ginger, scallions, lemongrass, brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and peanut oil in a food processor and process until smooth.
Pour the marinade over the wings and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat a grill to medium. Remove the wings from the marinade; reserve the marinade to brush the wings while they cook. Place the wings on the grill, season with 1 teaspoon salt and cook, turning every few minutes and basting with the marinade for the first 18 or so minutes. Continue to grill the wings until cooked through, 8 to 10 more minutes.
Photograph by Con Poulos