Emerilized Green Bean Casserole
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips and blanched
- 2 1/4 cups Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons Essence, plus 2 teaspoons, recipe follows
- 2 cups grated Fontina
- 4 to 5 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/16- inch thick)
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 11/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with the butter and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the green beans, Wild Mushroom Soup, 2 teaspoons of Essence, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and stir well. Pour into the prepared dish, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top, and bake until bubbly, 35 to 30 minutes.
In a large saucepan, add enough oil to come about 3 inches up the sides, and heat to 360 degrees F.
Pat the onions dry. Drizzle hot sauce on the onions and toss. In a bowl, combine the flour and 2 tablespoons of the Essence. Add the onions and toss to coat evenly. Shake the onions to remove any excess flour and add in batches to the hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Top casserole with fried onions and serve.Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup:
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the brandy, bring to a boil and cook until glazed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor. Add the cream, return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.
Yield: 8 servingsEssence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001