Emeril's Kicked-Up Tuna Melt
- 12 -ounces boneless, skinless fresh tuna, poached
- 1/3 cup minced red onions
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus extra for spreading on sandwiches, homemade mayonnaise
- 6 to 12 slices sourdough or other white bread
- 6 (1/4-inch) slices ripe tomato, lightly salted
- 6 (1-ounce) slices Muenster cheese
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- Crispy potato chips, for garnish
- Dill pickle spears, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Crumble the poached tuna into a medium mixing bowl. Add the onions, eggs, garlic, and capers. Mix thoroughly. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Stir in enough mayonnaise to moisten the salad, about 1/2 cup or according to preference.
Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise over 6 slices of bread. Top each slice with a generous 1/3 cup of the tuna mixture. Top each tuna salad with a tomato slice and a slice of cheese. Place cheese side up on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until the cheese is melted. Top each sandwich with 3 to 4 lightly salted avocado slices and serve open-faced or top with the remaining pieces of bread.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004