Fish and Shrimp Stew: Vatapa de Peixe e Camarao
- 1 cup dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ground, toasted cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup ground, toasted blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced, seeded red chile peppers
- 4 cups fish or shrimp stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound sea bass fillets or other firm white fish fillets, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 lime wedges, for garnish
- Steamed long grain white rice, accompaniment
Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Saute the onions, stirring often, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the pureed shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add the nuts, garlic, ginger and peppers and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add the stock, coconut milk and lime juice and cook until reduced by 1/2, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the fish and simmer until the fish is almost cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro and remove from the heat.
Arrange a scoop of rice in the center of 6 large plates or soup bowls. Ladle the stew over the rice and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Place 1 lime wedge on each plate and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.