Open Faced Roast Turkey Sandwiches with Mushroom Gravy
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces fresh white button mushrooms, wiped clean, stemmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 10 to 12 ounces thinly sliced roast turkey breast
- 4 slices home-style white bread, toasted, optional
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
To make the gravy, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, have released their liquid, and are golden, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir well to blend. Cook, stirring frequently, until the flour begins to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the onion and celery and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth, Essence, and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the mixture thickens and the floury taste is gone, about 20 minutes.
To assemble the sandwiches, spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Arrange equal amounts of the turkey on top. Ladle equal amounts of the mushroom gravy (almost 1/2 cup each) over each open-faced sandwich. Serve immediately.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Hot Browns: Open-Faced Turkey Sandwiches with Parmesan Cream Sauce and Bacon, Open Faced Sausage, 3 Pepper and Onion Sandwiches with Provolone, Open-Faced BBQ Beef Sandwich, Easy Breakfast, Easy Pasta, Easy Lunch, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Easy Slow Cooking
Thank you! your flag was submitted.