Panko-Crusted Cod Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 (4-ounce) fresh Pacific cod fillets
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons white pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons, plus 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 whole chipotle pepper, in adobe sauce
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices tomato
- Pickles, for serving
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Set a 10-inch saute pan over medium heat with the vegetable oil. Season the fish with the 4 teaspoons Essence, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Set the flour in a small shallow bowl, combine the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl and whisk to combine, and place the panko in a third shallow bowl. Dredge the fish in the flour, shake off the excess and coat with the egg wash. Dip the egg washed fish in the panko and toss to coat evenly.
Set a large, 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cup of the vegetable oil and once hot, add the breaded fish to the pan. Fry the fish in batches in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 1/2 minutes on the first side, turn and cook an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Set the cooked fish aside on a paper lined plate while you prepare the bread and mayonnaise. Brush the centers of the Kaiser rolls with the remaining 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and grill over medium heat to toast, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside as you prepare the mayonnaise.
In the carafe of a blender, combine the egg, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and chipotle. Pulse until well incorporated. With the blender running, slowly drizzle 1 1/4 cups of the oil through the feed tube into the carafe to form a mayonnaise. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise on each of the Kaiser roll tops. Place 1/3 cup of the lettuce on top of the mayonnaise, and place a fish fillet on top of the toasted Kaiser roll bottom. Place another 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise on top of the fish, and top with a slice of tomato. Place the tops of the Kaiser rolls over the fish and tomatoes to form a sandwich. Serve immediately with a pickle.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.