- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 large fresh portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
- 4 thick Vidalia onion slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola, thinly sliced
- 4 large whole wheat hamburger buns or large kaiser rolls
- Lemon Aioli, recipe follows
- 1 bunch watercress, rinsed and dried, stems removed
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary. Place the mushrooms in a large re-sealable plastic bag, or a baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
Prepare the grill.
Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and place gill sides-down on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn. Arrange the cheese and onion slices on the gills of each mushroom and continue to cook until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Open the rolls and lightly toast on the grill, insides down.
Place 1 grilled mushroom inside each bun and garnish each, to taste, with aioli. Divide the watercress among the 4 buns and serve immediately.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
With the back of a knife, mince the garlic, then crush. Gradually work the salt into the crushed garlic to make a paste. Place in a bowl. Whisk the eggs and lemon juice with the garlic paste and incorporate. Add the cayenne. Slowly whisk in the oil, a little at a time, until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture emulsifies. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. (Use within 24 hours.)
Yield: about 1 cup