Potato Leek Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced pancetta
- 2 cups diced onion
- 4 large leeks, cleaned and sliced, plus 1 cup julienned, for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart beef stock
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 4 cups peeled, quartered or diced new potatoes, plus 2 cups julienned shoestring-style, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, for garnish
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook to render the fat. Add the onion and leeks, saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter. When melted, stir in flour to make a roux. Whisk in chicken and beef stock. Add wine and new potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, add 3 inches of olive oil to a Dutch oven, or a saucepan. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Add julienned potatoes and fry until golden brown. Remove and place on plate lined with paper towels. Season with salt. Repeat the process for the julienned leeks.
If desired, puree the soup with a hand blender for a smoother consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with shoestring potatoes, leeks and chives.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.