- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, plus more, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
- Black Bean Relish, recipe follows
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the shrimp and the relish mix well to combine. Add the shrimp to the seasoning paste, and toss to thoroughly coat with the seasoning mixture. Let the shrimp sit in the seasoning mixture while you prepare the grill.
Prepare a grill and thread the shrimp onto 4 or 6 metal skewers (depending on their size)*. Place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and are lightly charred on both sides. Do not overcook!
Serve the shrimp with Black Bean Relish
*If you don't have metal skewers for grilling, bamboo skewers will work just fine. Simply remember to soak them for at least 30 minutes in warm water before threading them with ingredients, this will keep them from burning.
Black Bean Relish:
- 4 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 bunch scallions (green onions), minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and stir to mix well. Season the black bean relish with salt and pepper, and set aside at least 1/2 hour before serving with the shrimp. Finish the black bean relish with the chopped cilantro.