- 1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Cooked white rice, for serving
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook until the roux is a peanut butter color, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and saute until soft and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the crawfish and bay leaves. Reduce the heat to medium. Stirring occasionally, cook until the crawfish begin throwing off a little liquid, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the chicken stock to the crawfish mixture and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Stir until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley and green onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and serve over cooked white rice.