- 1 tablespoon caul fat or any other type of fat
- 1 pound bottom round or sirloin, hand-chopped or ground
- 5 to 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 roasted peppers, diced
- Empanada dough discs*
- 10 green olives, pitted
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- Oil, for frying
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon caul fat. Add the chopped meat and white scallion slices, and saute until slightly browned. Add raisins and spices and cook until meat is cooked through. Stir in green scallion slices and roasted peppers. Let mixture cool.
Fill empanada discs with meat, add 1 olive and 1 slice of egg. Seal the empanada.
*Available frozen at specialty markets.
Recipe courtesy Jorge Rodriguez