Veggie Pot Pie with Cornmeal Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 3/4 cup white cornmeal, such as Weisenbergers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 8 small new potatoes, medium dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 large yam, peeled and medium dice (about 3 cups)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 12 medium shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups mushroom broth, warmed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1/2 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons ice water. With the processor running, drizzle in the yolk mixture. The dough should just come together. If it looks dry add more water, up to 4 tablespoons.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it comes together; it will be stiffer than a regular pie crust because of the cornmeal. Divide into four pieces, press into discs, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
For the filling: Toss the potatoes, yam, parsnips, celery and mushrooms with 4 tablespoons oil.
Season with salt and pepper and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast, tossing once halfway through, until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. You don't want to cook these all the way though since they will cook more in the pot pie. (They should be al dente, but starting to get some color.)
Combine the flour and remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until smooth and bubbly like pancake batter, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the mushroom broth. Simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste and remove from the heat.
Add the roasted veggies to the mushroom broth along with the peas, thyme, rosemary and sherry vinegar. Divide the filling among four 8-ounce ramekins.
Remove the dough from the fridge and roll each into a 5-inch disc. Wet the rim each ramekin and lay a crust over the top. Poke each 5 or 6 times with a fork and place in the oven. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Damaris Phillips