Beets With Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette and Mint
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Top these beets with a smooth, Greek-yogurt based dressing for a dish that's both hearty and heart-healthy.
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 large beets (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup 2-percent plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh small mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon roasted or raw unsalted pistachios, chopped
Wrap the garlic cloves together in a piece of parchment paper; wrap each beet separately in parchment. Place the garlic and beets in a microwave-safe dish and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and set aside, still wrapped. Continue to cook the beets in intervals of 2 minutes, until they can be easily pierced with a knife, 8 to 10 minutes. Let sit wrapped in parchment to complete the cooking process and until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt, broth, vinegar, oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Peel the garlic cloves, mash completely and whisk into the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. (Alternatively, make the vinaigrette with the microwave-roasted garlic up to a few hours in advance to allow the flavors to blend. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Peel the beets using a paring knife and cut into wedges or slices. Arrange on a platter, drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with the mint and pistachios. Serve immediately, while still warm.
Cook's Note: The beets are "roasted" in the microwave, saving time and energy. The garlic is also "roasted" in the microwave, to mellow its bite.
From Food Network Kitchens