Bistro Chef's Salad
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 ounces brie cheese, sliced
- 2 6 -inch baguette segments, split and toasted
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 5 -ounce package mixed baby greens
- 1 small head frisee, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 pound thickly sliced Black Forest ham, cut into strips
Fill a wide, shallow pot with 2 inches of water. Add 1/2 tablespoon vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer.
Meanwhile, divide the brie between the baguette pieces and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of the basil. Whisk the mustard, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until smooth.
One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl or cup, then slip into the simmering water. Poach the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a paper towel-lined plate to drain briefly.
Add the mixed greens, frisee and the remaining basil to the bowl with the dressing and toss; season with salt and pepper. Divide among plates and top with the tomato and ham. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and add to the salads. Serve with the baguette pieces.
Per serving: Calories 513; Fat 30 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 265 mg; Sodium 1,346 mg; Carbohydrate 34 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.