- 2 cups carrot juice
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and reserved, caps sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup instant barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups kale or mustard greens, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
Bring the carrot juice, 3 cups water and the mushroom stems to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom caps and barley and cook until the barley is toasted, about 5 minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add half of the carrot juice mixture, leaving the mushroom stems in the pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is almost absorbed, about 6 minutes.
Add the remaining carrot juice mixture, the kale and ginger and cook, stirring, until the barley and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then ladle the stew into bowls.
Per serving: Calories 333; Fat 14 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 375 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 8 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.