Chile Cheese Casserole
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups baked tortilla chips, 2 1/2 ounces
- 6 egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, about 2 ounces
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, about 2 ounces
- 1/2 cup prepared green salsa verde
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a rectangular 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Coarsely crush the chips by hand and spread half of them into the bottom of the baking dish.
Whisk the egg whites, eggs, milk, ancho powder, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in the chopped chiles, chopped cilantro, and 1/4 cup each of the Cheddar and pepper jack cheeses; pour into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining chips over the egg mixture. Bake until the casserole is set around the edges but a little loose in the center, 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of each cheese and continue to bake until the cheeses are melted and the casserole is set in the center, about 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with the salsa and, sour cream, if using. Garnish with whole cilantro leaves.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving: (without optional sour cream)
Calories 202; Total Fat11g (Sat Fat 5.1g, Mono Fat 3g, Poly Fat .7g) ; Protein 14g; Carb 13g; Fiber 1g; Cholesterol 159mg; Sodium 415mg
Thank you! your flag was submitted.