- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces thin green beans or haricots verts
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 8 3 -ounce trout fillets, pin bones removed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until just soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato, vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon tarragon and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Place the green beans in a large microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon water, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
Put the cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal, shaking off the excess. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the fish and cook until golden, turning once, about 5 minutes. (Add more butter between batches, if needed.) Transfer the fish to plates.
Return the sauce to medium heat. Add the half-and-half, bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon and 1/2 tablespoon butter and season with salt. Serve the fish with the green beans and top with the sauce.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.