- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 scallions, chopped, white and green reserved separately
- 2 chipotles en adobo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 green pepper, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 red pepper, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage, very thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1/2 orange, zest finely grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 lime, zest finely grated
Pulse 3/4 cup of the cilantro, the scallion whites, chipotles, chili powder, lime juice, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a mini-food processor to make a smooth paste. Coat the steak with the paste. Toss the peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Set a rack 6-inch from the broiler heating element and preheat the broiler. Preheat a broiler pan for about 10 minutes.
Carefully pull the preheated pan from the broiler, set the steak in the center of the pan, and surround (but do not cover) with the peppers and onion. Return to the broiler. Cook until the meat feels firm but still gives gently when pressed, about 12 minutes for medium rare. Remove steak to a platter and let rest about 10 minutes before slicing. Toss the vegetables, and continue broiling until they soften and char, another 6 to 8 minutes.
Slice the steak, against the grain, into very thin slices. Arrange on a platter with the peppers and onions. Serve with the slaw.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.