Healthy Chopped Slaw
- 1/2 head green cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded on a box grater
- 1/2 head purple cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded
- Kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 carrot, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Mix the 2 cabbages together in a large colander. Salt cabbage generously and put in the sink to drain for about 1 hour. Rinse cabbage under cold water and pat very dry. Mix the carrot with the cabbage.
Toast celery seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat; cool. Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, brown sugar, pineapple juice, buttermilk, celery seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, to taste, and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, tossing to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens