Mushroom Pies with Pear Salad
- Cooking spray
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and/or muenster cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces mache or other salad greens (about 6 cups)
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 14-inch square and cut into four 7-inch squares. Brush the center of each with mustard and season with salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms gill-side up on the pastry and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and sprinkle over the mushrooms. Fold in the pastry edges, pleating to fully cover the mushrooms; press to seal. Brush both sides of the pastry with the beaten egg. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet, make slits in the top and bake until golden and crisp, 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, combine the shallot, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl, then whisk in the olive oil. Toss the dressing with the salad greens and pear. Serve the salad with the mushroom pies.
Per serving: Calories 736; Fat 47 g (Saturated 18 g); Cholesterol 106 mg; Sodium 1,045 mg; Carbohydrate 54 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.