Philippine Chicken Adobo
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 20 min
- 40 min
- 40 min
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 3/4 pounds), patted dry
- 8 baby bell peppers, halved and seeded
- Kosher salt
- 15 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the peppers until lightly charred and crisp tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and set aside. Season the chicken with salt, add the remaining oil to the skillet, and place the chicken smooth side down and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes. Scatter the garlic and bay leaves around the chicken, then add 4 cups water, the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and red pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the chicken occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Transfer the chicken to the platter. Remove and discard bay leaves. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into sauce and simmer, whisking constantly, until it thickens a bit. Return the chicken and any juices to the sauce and simmer gently, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is very tender and glazed, about 8 minutes more. Stir in the peppers and serve over rice, if desired.
Total Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Protein: 65 grams
Sodium: 1974 milligrams
Cholesterol: 259 milligrams
Fiber: 3 grams
Know-How: Rather than chopping, breeze through 15 cloves of garlic in no time by smashing them with the flat side of your knife.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Poached Chicken With Garlic-Herb Sauce, Orange Chicken Scaloppine and Sunburst Squash Escabeche with Roasted Pepper Puree, Spinach Wrapped Chicken with Lemon Risotto and Feta Cheese Salsa Verde, Chicken Piccata Recipes, Chicken and Dumpling Recipes, Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes, Chicken Alfredo Recipes, Grilled Chicken Recipes, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes