Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Mexican lager-style beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno, plus 1 tablespoon pickling juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Warmed tortilla wedges, tortilla chips, bell pepper triangles or French fries, for dipping
1. Cook the chorizo, stirring, in a medium skillet or a flameproof gratin dish over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and pour off any excess rendered fat, reserving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. If there is less than 1 tablespoon, add enough olive oil to make 1 tablespoon.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until the flour is golden, 1 minute. Pour in the beer and bring to a boil. Stir in the chopped jalapenos and pickling juice and cook 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking, and bring to a gentle boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the cheeses and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese fully melts, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve warm with dippers.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.