- 1 large onion, peeled, root end left intact, and quartered
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 ounces thick-sliced smoked or pepper bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (1-inch thick) smoked pork chops (about 10 ounces each)
- 1 pound kielbasa, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 Fuji or other baking apples, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 cup gin
- Pumpernickel rye bread, mustards, horseradish, and cornichons, for serving
Stud each onion quarter with a clove. Layer the bacon, sauerkraut, garlic, onion quarters, herb sprigs, bay leaves, pork chops, kielbasa, apples, and potatoes in the slow cooker in the order listed, then pour the wine and gin over the top. Cover the cooker and set it on LOW. Cook until the pork is falling off the bones and the potatoes are fork-tender, at least 6 and up to 8 hours.
Arrange the meats, potatoes, apples, onions, garlic, and sauerkraut on a large platter. Serve with pumpernickel rye bread, mustards, cornichons, and horseradish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.