Southern Grits and Eggs
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and black pepper; cover to keep warm.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the okra, scallion whites, bell pepper, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Carefully slide the eggs on top of the okra mixture, keeping the yolks intact. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook, rotating the skillet occasionally, until the eggs are just set, about 6 minutes.
Serve the grits with the vegetables and eggs. Top with the scallion greens.
Per serving: Calories 405; Fat 21 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 445 mg; Sodium 231 mg; Carbohydrate 35 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 20 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine