Sweet-and-Sour Short Ribs
- 6 bone-in English-cut beef short ribs (about 3 3/4 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped, plus 1 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the meat to a plate.
Add the onions, garlic, chopped celery stalks and paprika to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes. Add 6 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the meat to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to the oven and cook 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree the chopped chard, lemon juice, scallions, celery leaves, 1 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth. Remove the pot from the oven; stir in the chard puree, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes and sugar. Return the pot to the oven and cook, uncovered, until the meat and vegetables are tender but hold their shape, 1 hour, 30 minutes to 2 hours. Remove the bones from the short ribs; skim the fat off the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the meat, vegetables and sauce into shallow bowls.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.