Tomato and Watermelon Gazpacho
- 4 medium tomatoes, preferably heirloom varieties, chopped
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, sliced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed basil and mint, plus small leaves for topping
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
Place the tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, shallot, basil and mint in a large bowl. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Stir in the olive oil and vinegar.
Puree the tomato mixture in a blender, in batches if necessary. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing to extract any liquid; discard the solids and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
To serve, top the soup with the small herb leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira