Tomato Salad with Cheese Crisps
- 4 thick slices Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Peheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the bread with 2 tablespoons olive oil on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Whisk the mustard, lemon juice and vinegar in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the tomatoes, scallions and dill and season with salt and pepper. Add the bread
cubes and toss to coat. Set aside while you make the crisps.
Toss the cheese with the flour and pepper to taste in a bowl. Arrange the mixture in 4 mounds on the baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then remove with a spatula to a rack and let cool. Serve with the tomato salad.
Photographs by Kate Sears
Thank you! your flag was submitted.