Fried Green Tomato and Crab Salad with Sumac Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy Debbie Martin
- Canola, vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 to 3 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (recommended: Konriko)
- Baby arugula
- Jumbo lump crabmeat
- Sumac Vinaigrette:
- 4 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac, plus more for serving
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat approximately 2-inches oil in large, heavy skillet to 325 degrees F. An electric- fryer can be used.
Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt and pepper. Combine the cornmeal, flour and Creole seasoning in a shallow dish. Dredge the tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture and fry until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
For the vinaigrette:
Add the vinegar, sumac, and salt and pepper to a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined. Remove and reserve 4 tablespoons. In a large bowl, add enough arugula for 4 servings. Pour the vinaigrette over the arugula and toss. Divide the arugula on serving plates, arrange 2 to 3 fried green tomatoes on the arugula and top with equal amounts of crabmeat. Drizzle reserved vinaigrette over the crabmeat and sprinkle with ground sumac. Serve immediately.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.