Geoduck Clam Chowder
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 30 min
- 30 min
- 6 servings
- 10 ounces fresh clam meat, preferably Geoduck, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cups clam juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 large red or white potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black
- 2 dashes of Tabasco
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Beurre Manie:
- 1/2 tablespoon softened, unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Melt butter in a large stockpot over low heat. Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add clams and cook an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid browning.
Add clam juice, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add cream, return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add carrots, celery, and potato. Cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Make beurre manie by mixing butter and flour together with your fingers to form a smooth paste. Press onto ends of a whisk and stir into soup until completely and evenly dispersed. Stir in remaining ingredients, taste and adjust seasonings, and serve immediately.
c.1996, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved