- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage, from 1 small cabbage
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce, from 1 small lettuce
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and deveined, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thai basil leaves or fresh mint leaves, chopped** see Cook's Note
- 2 cups thinly sliced store-bought rotisserie chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted** see Cook's note
- 1 tablespoon toasted white or black sesame seeds*
- 1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar*
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional
1/2 cup chow mein noodles, for garnish
For the salad: Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrot and add to a large salad bowl. Stir in the cabbage, lettuce, pepper, Thai basil, chicken, almonds, and sesame seeds.
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, if using.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Garnish with the chow mein noodles and serve.
*Cook's Note: can be found in specialty Asian markets
**Cook's Note: To toast the slivered almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely before using.
SERVINGS: 4 (MAIN); Calories: 374; Total Fat 25 grams; Saturated Fat: 3.5 grams; Protein: 21 grams; Total carbohydrates: 19 grams; Sugar: 9 grams Fiber: 8 grams; Cholesterol: 36 milligrams; Sodium: 349 milligrams