- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 large onion, ends trimmed and skin removed
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- Salted Cinnamon Sugar, recipe follows
Cut the onion into 1/2-inch slices and separate into rings. Slice each apple into 5 rings and pat dry with paper towels.
Dip the apples slices into the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes each side until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried apple rings to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the onion rings.
Transfer the apple and onion rings to serving platters. Sprinkle the onion rings with salt. Sprinkle the apple rings with the Salted Cinnamon Sugar. Serve immediately.
Salted Cinnamon Sugar:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store airtight in a glass or plastic container.
Yield: 1/3 cup
Prep Time: 2 minutes