Black Forbidden Rice with Peaches and Snap Peas
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups black forbidden rice (recommended: Lotus Foods)
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups (8 ounces) snap peas, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
For the rice: In a medium saucepan, bring the water, rice, ginger, and salt to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place in a large serving bowl.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the snap peas and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the peach slices and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the peas and peaches to the serving bowl.
For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, honey, and soy sauce until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.