Endive and Frisee Salad with Oranges
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil or hazelnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 heads frisee lettuce, center leaves only, torn into pieces
- 2 blood oranges or regular oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Whisk the balsamic vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Toss the endive and frisee in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the salad onto plates. Surround with the orange segments. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette around the salads and serve immediately.