Farro with Cheese and Herbs
- Butter, for baking dish
- 1 pound farro
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated extra-sharp Cheddar
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated mozzarella
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (about 5 ounces) 1/2-inch thick slices multi-grain or whole-grain bread, preferably 1 day old, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
Farro: In a large stockpot, bring the farro, water and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer until the farro is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain in a colander.
Topping: Arrange the bread pieces on top of the farro mixture and drizzle liberally with olive oil.
Bake for 15 minutes until the topping is golden. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis