Four Cheese Ravioli with Herb Pesto
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 packed cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 packed cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces), fresh whole-milk ricotta
- 3/4 packed cup (3 ounces) coarsely grated mozzarella, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1 /2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 35 store-bought wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the pesto: In a food processor, combine the basil, parsley, mint, Parmesan, pine nuts, anchovy paste, pepper and garlic. Pulse until chunky. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil until the pesto is smooth.
In a small bowl, mix together the egg and 1 teaspoon water until smooth.
Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with the egg mixture. Spoon 1 level tablespoon of the filling into the center of each wonton wrapper. Fold the opposite corners of each wonton wrapper over to form triangle shapes. Seal the edges firmly, pressing out any air around the filling. (Can be made a few hours in advance. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to use.)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and the olive oil. In batches, add the ravioli to the water and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the ravioli and drain in a colander. Transfer the ravioli to shallow soup bowls. Spoon the sauce over the ravioli and serve.
Cook's Note: To toast the pine nuts, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool completely before using.