Melon and Olive Mini Skewers with Black Pepper Honey
- Black Pepper Herb Honey:
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 medium sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 large or 1 small cantaloupe melon, seeded and peeled
- One 7-ounce can jumbo pitted green olives, rinsed and drained
- One 8-ounce container bite-size fresh mozzarella balls (ciliegine), drained and patted dry
- 2 cups small fresh basil leaves
Special equipment: 24 mini bamboo skewers
For the honey: Stir together the honey, 1/4 cup water, the pepper, thyme and rosemary in a small saute pan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Strain the honey into a small bowl and set aside while you assemble the skewers.
For the skewers: Using a melon baller, scoop out 24 rounds from the peeled melon. Thread each skewer with a melon ball, basil leaf, mozzarella ball, another basil leaf and an olive. To serve, place the skewers on a platter and drizzle with the honey.
You can also use an 8-ounce ball of fresh mozzarella, drained, patted dry and cut into 3/4-inch cubes if you can't find ciliegine.