Roasted Red Pepper Hummus in Cucumber Cups
- 1/2 cup diced jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 small lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra to season
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 2 hothouse cucumbers, ends trimmed
- Fresh parsley, cilantro or mint leaves
For the hummus: In a food processor, combine the peppers, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper if using, beans and garlic. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed. Season with salt if needed. Transfer the hummus to a small bowl.
Run the tines of a fork down the length of each cucumber several times, turning to make ridges about 1/8-inch deep in the skin all the way around. Cut cucumbers crosswise into 1-inch rounds, for a total of at least 12. Using the smaller end of a melon baller or a round measuring spoon, scoop out the center of each cucumber round to form a hollow. Use a small spoon to fill each cup with hummus, mounding slightly over the top. Tuck a small fresh parsley, cilantro or mint leaf into the side of the filling as a garnish.
Arrange the cups on a platter and serve.
Cook's Note: Tahini is available in the Middle Eastern section of grocery stores.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis