Updated Waldorf Salad with Apple Vinaigrette
- For the couscous:
- 1 tablespoon safflower or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pearl couscous
- Kosher salt
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup safflower or grapeseed oil
- For the salad:
- 1 large Gala apple, cored and cut into 1/4-to- 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped into 1/4-to- 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup small green seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 6 outer leaves from a large radicchio
Make the couscous: In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the couscous and toast until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the water simmers; cover the pan and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and set aside to cool.
Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the oil.
Put 1 radicchio leaf on each plate. Spoon the salad into each leaf, allowing some to spill over.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis for Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay