Updated Waldorf Salad with Apple Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis for Food Network Magazine
- For the couscous:
- 1 tablespoon safflower or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pearl couscous
- Kosher salt
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup safflower or grapeseed oil
- For the salad:
- 1 large Gala apple, cored and cut into 1/4-to- 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped into 1/4-to- 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup small green seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 6 outer leaves from a large radicchio
Make the couscous: In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the couscous and toast until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the water simmers; cover the pan and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and set aside to cool.
Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the oil.
Put 1 radicchio leaf on each plate. Spoon the salad into each leaf, allowing some to spill over.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Thank you! your flag was submitted.