- Total Time:
- 4 hr 10 min
- 5 min
- 4 hr
- 5 min
- 30 to 35 truffles
- 2/3 cup Cashew Cream, recipe follows
- 2 cups (12 ounces) 41-percent cocoa vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1/2 medium orange
- Topping suggestions: Finely chopped pistachio nuts, cocoa powder, vegan chocolate chips, finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the cashew cream and chocolate chips. Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering hot water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the agave syrup, vanilla and orange zest. Refrigerate the mixture until firm, about 1 hour.
With a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon-size round measuring spoon, spoon out the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. With damp hands, roll the mixture into balls and return to the baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Roll the truffles in your desired toppings and serve.Cashew Cream:
In a small bowl, combine the water and cashews. Let soak for at least 2 hours or overnight at room temperature.
In a blender, blend the cashews and water at high speed until creamy and smooth, about 1 minute.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups
Vegan chocolate chips can be found in health or natural food stores.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis