Grilled Whole Fish with Four Pepper-Ginger Sauce
- Four Pepper-Ginger Sauce:
- 3 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 habanero chile
- 2 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 poblano chile, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Thai basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Grilled Whole Fish:
- 4 whole red snapper, 1 1/2-pounds each, scaled, gutted, and scored
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
DirectionsFor the sauce:
Place the vinegar, sugar, habanero and ginger in a medium saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin with a little bit of water.
Strain the sauce through a strainer into a bowl, stir in the red and yellow peppers, poblano, mint, Thai basil, cilantro and season with salt, to taste.
For the fish:
Heat the grill over high heat.
Season the cavity of the fish with salt and pepper. Brush the fish with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on 1 side. Turn the grill down to medium and cook for another 6 to 7 minutes with the grill hood closed. Remove to a platter and immediately drizzle with the sauce. Garnish with Thai basil and cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.