Grits and Sausage Casserole
- 1/2 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups 1-percent milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups red bell pepper strips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook sausage in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain and set aside.
Combine milk and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in grits; cover, reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Combine grits mixture, sausage, cheese, parsley, salt, garlic, and peppers in a large bowl; set aside.
Beat egg whites at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently stir 1/4 of the egg whites into grits mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, and saute 4 minutes or until tender; serve warm with grits.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen