For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup dried black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup Spanish olives, halved
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Prepare the salad: Put the peas in a saucepan with 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let sit 1 hour. Drain, then return to the saucepan with 1 cup fresh water. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until just al dente, about 10 minutes. Let cool in the liquid.
Meanwhile, put the rice in another saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and the garlic. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 16 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool, then fluff with a fork.
Make the dressing: Whisk the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, honey, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a nonreactive bowl. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Assemble the salad: Drain the peas and toss with the rice in a large bowl. Add the onion, bell pepper and olives, then add the dressing and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul