Chorizo Stuffed Reds
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 small red potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 ounces Mexican-style chorizo, casing removed
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 1/2 cup small diced roasted red bell peppers (about 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white tequila
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the potatoes: Mix the spices in a small bowl. Wash and dry the potatoes. Poke several times around each potato with a fork. Rub evenly with the olive oil and sprinkle evenly with the spice mixture. Place on a baking pan and bake until cooked through and the skin is crispy, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven, halve and, with a small spoon, scoop out the potato, leaving about 1/8-inch of flesh in the skin. Reserve the skins and chop the potato flesh.
For the filling: In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add the canola oil. When hot, add the chorizo and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the onions and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the red bell peppers, olives and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Deglaze the pan with the tequila, cooking until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and reserved potato flesh to combine.
Place the potato skins in a pie pan or similar baking dish, nesting them against each other. Fill each half with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the chorizo mixture, top with the cheese and return to the oven. Cook until cheese is starting to melt and they are heated through, 5 to 6 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri